Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Roasted Stuffed Zucchini

I am working on cutting down on sodium (difficult because I am a major salt-tooth, although I don't eat processed foods so I guess that gets me part of the way there). I came up with this easy low-sodium dinner last night, when I had some time after work and was puttering in the kitchen (one of my favourite things to do!). This recipe makes one serving, but it would be pretty easy to double, triple or quadruple as needed. Apologies for the awful photo quality -- I took it on my webcam before I dug in.


Roasted Stuffed Zucchini

1 green or yellow zucchini
2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup whole wheat couscous
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp chopped green onion
3 finely chopped cherry tomatoes (or a bit of chopped regular tomato... I just had cherries on hand)
small handful of fresh basil and parsley, chopped
paprika
freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise, then scoop out the flesh and chop into small pieces. Gently sautee in olive oil with the onion and cherry tomatoes, for 6 - 10 minutes until softened but not browned.

2. Meanwhile, cook couscous as instructed on the box. (I usually skip reading the box and just put the couscous in a bowl, barely cover it with boiling water from the kettle, and let it sit, covered, for 4 or 5 minutes.)

3. Combine couscous, feta, sauteed vegetables, chopped herbs and pepper to taste in a bowl.

4. Press mixture firmly into hollowed-out zucchini halves. (I piled it quite high and it didn't fall out during roasting.) Place zucchinis in a baking dish, sprayed with canola cooking spray. Sprinkle with paprika to taste.

5. Roast in a 350 degree oven until zucchini halves have softened and caramelized, and the top of the couscous mixture has crisped up and browned a bit - about 30 minutes.

Yum!

1 comment:

warmsocks said...

My mouth is watering, looking at that photo. Thanks for the recipe!