Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Update: Singing!

Well, I loved my singing lesson.

In part, I enjoyed it because my teacher was lovely, he has a funny, friendly wife, a sweet three-year-old girl, a gentle greyhound (I could not get enough of that dog), and a quirky old house, and he made me a fantastic cup of tea. He also said that when it gets colder, he adds Bailey's to the tea. No problems there.

But I left the lesson feeling good not just about my instructor, but about myself.

I hadn't expected singing to be such a physical exercise. I have major work to do to learn to breathe diaphragmatically. I told him right away that I have scoliosis, because the first thing he wanted to talk about was posture. He said I'm definitely not his first student with scoliosis, which was great to hear. The breathing exercises felt like a lot of work, and by the end of the lesson, I was a bit out of breath and also starting to feel twinges of pleuritic pain (which I still feel occasionally, even though my bout of pleurisy happened a year ago). I tend to breathe quite shallowly, which is perhaps due to the way my ribs have rotated with my scoliosis - there's just not a whole lot of room in there for my lungs to expand. I'm expecting this to help a great deal.

I didn't actually sing anything; I just did scales and spent a lot of time talking to my instructor, P., about what I can learn with him. But it felt amazing to have the possibility before me of being good at something so physical. This is all about my body; the strength of my lungs, the flexibility and relaxation of jaw and facial muscles, the ability to project my voice. All things I think I am up for - with effort.

3 comments:

warmsocks said...

Awesome! Sounds like you're really going to enjoy this.

queenofoptimism said...

What a fabulous approach to treatment! I'm so glad that the whole experience was so positive and look forward to future posts when, perhaps, the pain will be lessened.

Helen said...

Thanks to both of you. I'm excited, too. And I really think this will be good for me physically. I will let you know how it goes!